What Estate Planning Can Do For You
Some people see it as ironic that the time and money that they spend on estate planning will primarily benefit other people after their own deaths. However, many who are thoughtful consider the investment in estate planning more broadly, as follows:
- Naturally, no one knows for sure about the timing of death. I, attorney Joseph Lassen, was employed by the New York Police Department for 20 years. I was a first responder at the site of the World Trade Center on Sept. 11, 2001. I have graphic evidence of life’s unpredictability. Estate planning is one of those things that we can control while we still have time – and it can make a great difference for those we care about.
- When people who care about each other put well-crafted estate plans in place, these documents serve as a sort of insurance for the whole family. Legal preparations can protect survivors from the expense and trouble associated with estate administration processes.
- People who intend to donate some or most of their estates to charitable causes can have the reassurance that their wishes have legal ‘teeth’ through proper estate planning.
- Many people consider estate planning to be an essential component of lifelong resource management. Inventorying assets and clarifying priorities often provide valuable insights for the handling of assets during one’s lifetime.
- An estate plan should complement and not contradict other existing documents and accounts, such as a prenuptial or postnuptial agreement, a business succession plan or a charitable foundation in the family. A skilled estate planning attorney can ensure careful consideration of all relevant factors.
Estate Planning Tools And Services That We Offer
At The Law Firm of Joseph Lassen, we guide clients in the creation, updating and administration of estate planning tools, such as:
- Wills and trusts
- Powers of attorney
- Living wills, also called advance health care directives
Our extensive experience with probate and estate administration has armed us with very specific recommendations to give our estate planning clients. We know what does and doesn’t work. Together with my highly experienced legal staff, I count it a privilege to help people take full advantage of the legal benefits that come with careful estate planning.
Don’t Know Where To Start? We Can Help.
Our law firm promotes efficiency and customization of legal services. We will not waste your time and money. Rather, we will offer and deliver exactly what you need to meet your goals – no more and no less. We are here to answer your questions about estate planning and other legal concerns that you may have.